Everything you need to know about inflammatory surface acne

When it comes to acne, all forms and severity have one thing in common - clogged pores. It is what is below the surface that determines inflammatory acne from non inflammatory acne. Inflamed acne consists of swelling and redness and is often caused by a bacterial infection within the pores.

Inflammatory surface acne is the middle ground between non inflammatory and what is commonly referred to as ‘cystic’ acne. Inflammatory surface acne consists of blind pimples or inflamed whiteheads. These are often sore to the touch, but do not form hard nodules or cysts under the surface. This type of acne is mild to moderate, and is often treated with prescription medication.

The scientific name for the acne causing bacteria is Cutibacterium acnes (formerly Propionibacterium acnes or P.acnes). With antibiotic resistance on the rise, the selection of acne treatment targeting C. acnes and the prevention of resistance play a key role in improving outcomes in acne sufferers.

10% of the bacteria on your skin is planktonic (free floating), and the other 90% is found in what is known as biofilms, or colonies of bacteria. These colonies produce a protective layer known as EPS which shields them from attack and binds them together. In order to successfully attack the bacteria in the biofilm, the EPS needs to be destroyed. Current topical treatments on the market are unable to do this, and as a result only successfully target 10% of the bacteria on your face.

If you are suffering with inflammatory surface acne, our acne hack cream is an absolute must. Our cream destroys the EPS that protects biofilms from attack. This means that it successfully targets and destroys C.acnes. What is even better is that you don’t need a prescription medicine to clear your skin, and you can avoid the side effects associated with these oral, more extreme, forms of treatment.

Maddi, 16 years of age, was part of our sample group and trialled our acne hack cream prior to our launch.

Maddi sits within the inflammatory surface acne category, and had experienced acne for many years before trying our products. Using the cream once a day (at night), Maddi saw immediate results, with her skin clearing after 12 weeks of treatment. It is also worth noting that Maddi has type 1 diabetes, so is prone to infection. Our treatment worked wonders for her skin.

“I have type 1 diabetes and it’s very easy for me to get infections, especially on my face. I became so insecure about my acne that I grew a fringe to cover it up. I know the fringe made it worse but i didn’t care, I didn’t want anyone to see what was underneath it. After using this product morning and night for 5-6 weeks, my skin cleared up significantly and I was so surprised.”

If you have inflammatory surface acne, we recommend using our boujee bundle. Not only will our cleanser and facial brush give you a deep, thorough and gentle cleanse, but paired with our acne cream, it is the perfect recipe for fighting off that acne causing bacteria.